I mentioned a while ago that I've been reading the book , "Change Your Questions, Change Your Life" by Wendy Watson Nelson. Wow. Wow. Wow.
I can't even read the whole thing because every few pages I have to put the book down and think. Deeply. Every once in a while, someone will write something so perfectly that it just speaks to my soul.
It thrills me. It frightens me. If I am to truly take to heart what she says, then I must act. And acting requires change. Change is not my strength. But I also believe that things come to you when you need them, so maybe I am ready.
Let me share with you her first concept/question. "What is on my premortal list of things to do while on Earth?"
She goes on to ask, "What were you born to do? Why are you here on earth? Especially now? Why not twenty years from not? Why not in the 1800's? Why were you born or adopted into your particular family? Why were you born into your race or nationality? Why were you born at all?" and finally,
"What is the wonderful mission for which I was went to earth? What do I need to do to fill the measure of my creation?"
First of all, I'm a list maker so this calls to me. Secondly, my favorite scripture story is the story of Esther with the question her uncle asks, "who knoweth whether thou art come to the kingdom for such a time as this?" And finally, it goes to my thoughts on Ryan's encouragement to Cade to""Do your job!"
Instantly, I knew that "teach children" was on my list. I've had numerous experiences that have confirmed the importance of my work, but never with the idea that this may be what I am here to do. Raising my own kids is (obviously) my first joy and priority. But as I went to work the next day, I realized that each, "Good Morning", or "How was your weekend?" was a step toward fulfilling the "measure of my creation". Suddenly a Primary teacher not showing up on Sunday wasn't a particular torment directed to make my life miserable, but an opportunity for me to get to know those kids a little better by teaching their class. Such a simple concept has resulted in a major change of perspective. Oh, I still complain. Don't get me wrong. But I am better able to realize that it is all a part of the process to help me become the person I need to be.
Over the past few weeks there have been other, more personal things that I have wondered about. "Is this on my list?" Some of them, well, I don't know. Others, I am quite certain of. Either way, it makes me excited to suppose that I've come "for such a time as this."
Next concept/question: "What is the one question I most need to have answered from the scriptures today?"
I'll keep you updated...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Cheering From the Sidelines
In January, I was asked to write an article for a blog about St. Johns. The blog is kind of a cross between missionary work and a celebrati...
-
In January, I was asked to write an article for a blog about St. Johns. The blog is kind of a cross between missionary work and a celebrati...
-
I unexpectedly started my period yesterday with not a single tampon in the house. I mean really?! While Lauren was searching the house for E...
-
Cade has now been gone for over a week. People tried to warn me that whether it was getting married or simply heading off to college, that...
6 comments:
Sounds like a great book. I may have to read it after I finish the Undaunted.
I really need to get her book. I love that question and being a list maker myself I think I'll have to find a quiet moment to answer it.
Thanks for sharing your insight -- I bet you area an incredible teacher! (and mom)
Now you know how my brain works. I think of questions like that all the time. It can be both dizzying and exciting. Sounds like a great book and I love your take on it.
You inspire me.
wow that sounds so deep. i need that book, but it sounds a bit scary. looking into the mirror of truth is always scary for me. at least you know. teaching children is such an amazing gift, i for one appreciate it and those who embrace the gift and make a difference in the lives of children.
I've got to run out and buy that book. Thanks Marcie for always inspiring me to be better.
Post a Comment