Monday, September 13, 2010

A Visual Analogy

Words can't fully express how much I love these two pictures.  The truth is, I get a little teary just looking at them.  The first was taken during an All-Star tournament when Syd was eleven years old.  The second was taken four years later, just after Sydney turned fifteen.


I look at this one and I see a strong-willed, determined and competitive little girl.  I see a girl who wasn't exactly sure what she should do, but she knew she wanted the ball in her hands.  She was a little timid and a little nervous, but open to learning everything she could.  Winning and losing were the markers of success, yet she was willing to take on that responsibility.


Here, I see a girl who knows exactly what to do with the ball in her hands.  Still determined and competitive, she knows that wins and losses aren't the only measure of a player or a girl.  While she is still learning, she is also becoming a teacher and a leader. It's a responsibility she thrives on.  She's found that hard work, faith and strength can overcome fear and uncertainty.   She's ready to leap into every adventure ahead.

4 comments:

Heidi said...

I love seeing those two pictures side by side. It is fun to see the difference an then to read your description. You must be so proud to have such a strong, beautiful daughter!

Zanny Poo said...

You have great kids. They are talented, smart, good-looking, and nice... just like their mom.

Terry said...

I love that girl. She has grown and matured. It is alway fun watching her play. Marcie you have such a wonderful way with words, so very talented.

Honey Girl said...

Great post. How can you not love Syd!

Cheering From the Sidelines

In January, I was asked to write an article for a blog about St. Johns.  The blog is kind of a cross between missionary work and a celebrati...