I LOVE this place.
It is the world's busiest "airport" for seaplanes. On a busy summer day, it can average 800 takeoffs and landings. (Yeah, I looked that up on the Internet for you).
The amount of air traffic over Anchorage is amazing. Large jets are taking off throughout the day, but it is the small planes that I love to watch as they zip around. When Cade and Syd were young, we would see a plane in the air and ask them "Floats or wheels?" They could identify them correctly every time.
One evening, Ryan and I spent a few hours sitting on a picnic table watching the planes take off and land. With airport security these days, I bet this is the most "up close" view available. It's quite amazing to watch the organization of planes coming from all direction to land on this lake and quickly taxi to their slip. Even more amazing is the short distance that they need to take-off.



2 comments:
Oh my goodness, absolutely breathtaking!! My husband wants to go next year for our 10 yr anniversary, so we'll have to drill ya for Traveling to Alaska 101!
The float planes rock...I forgot how much fun Alaska is.
Post a Comment